Tuesday, April 19, 2011

5k (success), Aubrey's Easter Flowers, and Class Starts Tonight

A 5k race is an interesting thing.  In fact, about 1/2 mile in I was convinced that I never wanted to run another one.  It's not the running (to be truthful my pace is more of a jog) that bothers me, it was all the people.  My sweet husband (who ran at my pace even though longer strides are much easier for him) suggested we start towards the back of the group so we could pass people instead of getting passed (you know, to help our mental game).  Well, that's all fine and dandy until you end up behind about 600 people who are going slower than you while they take up the entire road, it's just hard to set your pace when your are in a group of people that tight.  After the first mile or so, people started to spread out making it a much more enjoyable experience.  In the end, I was able to complete the race accomplishing both of my goals, the one I verbalized (to run the entire race) and the one I hoped for (to finish in less than 30 minutes).  Overall it was a great experience and I've already decided to look for another 5k to participate in in a few months.

After the run, Sam and I planted some tulips at Aubrey's grave.  I've been wanting to plant something out there for a while, but couldn't decide what I wanted.  Earlier in the week, when I went shopping, I saw pots of tulips at the store.  I told Sam about them and that I was thinking about getting some for the house, he suggested that we get some to plant for Aubrey instead.  We went back to the store together and he picked out some purple tulips for our little angel which surprised me because he normally picks pink stuff for her.  I love how they look behind her headstone, hopefully they will survive out there.

Tonight and Thursday we have our first and second parenting classes for DHS and tomorrow we have the first visit of our actual home study (with the contracted person, not our caseworker... I know, this whole process confuses me too)!  I'll let you know how it all goes.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on finishing the 5K!

    Aubrey's flowers are so pretty! Tulips are my favorite.

    Good luck with your parenting classes and home visit. I'll be praying for you guys this week.

    ReplyDelete